“Let’s use IDLE to define a few functions, including the Euclid’s Algorithm for the GCD. Atop the GCD we’ll build other functions for listing totatives of N (positives relatively prime to N) and the totient of N (the number of said totatives). We’re using the default Python shell to introduce new math ideas (“math through programming”).”
His second is Looking Ahead:
“Let’s download some source code over the Internet and take a look at a Python class definition. This class defines integer instances that operate modulo 23. This module might be used to discuss some basic concepts in group theory. We’ll come back to these ideas when we look at RSA, the public key cryptography algorithm.”
Create your own Python videos? You’ll find instructions here for how you can make your own videos in just 30 minutes.
If you want to embed this video on your blog or site, see our embedding instructions.subscribe to my RSS feed!
- ShowMeDo: ‘Python for Math Teachers’ A First Look at RSA (1 video)
- ShowMeDo: ‘Python for Math Teachers’ Working with Stickworks (1 video)
- ShowMeDo: ‘Python for Math Teachers’ – Subclassing for Beginners (1 video)
- “Your Pythonic Math Class of the Future”, Chicago PyCon screencast
- New Video Published: Getting started with Matplotlib